Driving Safety Namibia
This is a quick safety guidline for your Namibia Self-Drive holiday.
How to drive safe and without any accident in Namibia?
Please take note that there have been a high number of road accidents involving European visitors, some of which have been fatal.
- Driving at night (also at dawn and dusk) because there is a real danger of stray animals crossing the road.
- Driving over 80km/h on the gravel roads because they are very slippery.
Safe Driving Hints:
- Reduce speed and take extra care on our gravel roads.
- Avoid driving at night.
- Remember, Namibia is left hand drive.
- Always be aware of Antelope and other wild animals on the road, especially early morning and evening.
- Only overtake when you have a clear view.
- Drive on the left side.
- Keep your lights on at all times (so you can be seen because of the dust) .
- Make sure that you are fully insured: vehicle, driver & passengers.
- Make sure that your motor vehicle insurance also covers driving on gravel roads within Namibia and neighbouring countries.
- Carry plenty of drinking water.
- Keep your fuel tank topped up.
- As distances are long, take as many breaks as you can. However, take care at roadside picnic stops, robberies have occurred.
- Carry a first aid kit.
- Punctures are common. If possible carry 2 spare tyres.
Have a safe drive!
Namibian-safari.com / Okavango Car Hire contact numbers:
- Office: 061 306553
- After Hours: 081 124 1282
Other Emergency Numbers in Namibia:
- Police - Emergencies 10111
- Med Rescue International: 061 23 0505
- Int. SOS Namibia: (061) 230 505 / (061) 249 777
Emergency Numbers in Windhoek:
- Ambulance (061) 21 1111
- Fire Brigade (061) 21 1111
- Medi-Clinic (061) 222 687
- Roman Catholic Hospital (061) 270 2911
- Rhino Park Hospital (061) 375 000
Emergency Numbers in Lüderitz:
- Ambulance (063) 202 446
- Fire Brigade (Mr. Kloscha) 081 128 3667
- Hospital (063) 202 446
- Police (063) 202 225
Emergency Numbers in Swakopmund:
- Ambulance (064) 412 400
- Fire Brigade (Mr. Kloscha) (064) 410 4111
- Hospital (064) 412 400
- Police (067) 402 431
Emergency Numbers in Tsumeb:
- Ambulance (067) 221 082
- Fire Brigade (Mr. Kloscha) (067) 221 004
- Hospital (067) 221 082
- Police (067) 220 111