FAQ: Self-driving in Namibia
Frequently asked questions and answers
How are the vehicles equipped? Which models can I rent?
Please see Quotation page One “Vehicle”. All 4 x4 vehicles equipped with extra fuel tank. Second spare tyre included free of charge. Necessary tools to change a tyre. All vehicles are equipped with CD Player and necessary lighter plugs to charge accessories e.g. camera, IPod, etc. All 4 x 4 rentals include an ICE BOX (Not Fridge) and 20 L WATER CONTAINER. For further info please contact us.
General questions / Rental conditions
Which drivers license do I need when driving in Namibia?
For renting the vehicle your normal drivers license will be fine for us, But the officials at the road blocks insist on the following:
“A driver's license from any country bearing a photograph of the holder will be accepted in Namibia, if the license is in English or has an English-language certificate of authenticity attached to it. Alternatively, an international driving permit, obtained prior to arrival, may be used.”
Can I drive off-road?
Any Off Road driving (e.g Driving on any beaches, in any riverbeds, any protected areas, Namibian Dune belts, Bush, etc.) must be discussed with and pre-approved by Okavango Car Hire. Wading through water deeper than prescribed by the vehicle Manufacturer is not allowed. Failure to comply with any of the above will result in the insurance being null and void.
Please note that a Hilux is not suitable for Linyanti and certain areas in Savuti when travelling in Botswana.
The D3703 / D3707 / D3705 is not allowed with the Hilux, these roads are very heavy off road. Van Zyl’s Pass is not allowed at all.
Am I allowed to drive at night?
This is not recommended by Okavango Car Hire and the client must plan ahead to avoid this at all cost.
Am I allowed to cross the Namibian border?
When traveling outside the borders of Namibia to South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana, prior arrangements must be made with Okavango Car Hire as we have to give you a Letter of Authorization to take the vehicle outside of Namibia. Please note additional rental days will apply when vehicles are returned outside the borders off Namibia due to the fact that the vehicle will be off fleet for the return journey. If crossing the border into the above countries permits can be obtained at the border. If the renter wants to travel North of Livingston in Zambia or into Angola, this must be discussed and pre-approved by Okavango Car Hire.
It is the renter’s responsibility to return accident damaged vehicles outside Namibia to within the borders of Namibia.
Crossing the Border into Zimbabwe: On suggestion from all our clients in the last year crossing the border with a vehicle is just not worth it. The border officials on the Zimbabwean side have a lot of rules, regulations, taxes and permits, that needs to be paid when crossing the border, these change daily and if you do not comply with them, you are fined and need to pay a lot extra. They suggested to go to Chobe Safari Lodge in Kasane, park the vehicles there and do a day trip with them to Victoria Fall, hassle and stress free. The shuttle to Victoria Falls departs daily at 9am from the parking area and return the same day in the afternoon.
Please note that Okavango car hire cannot be held liable for any extra’s that needs to be paid as the rules, regulation, taxes and permits changes so often and without proper notice.
Rentals / Ariport transfers / Vehicle collection
How long is the rental period?
Our rental period works in 24 Hours. E.G. If you rent the vehicle at 12 pm on the 1st of April your first rental day will only be on the 2nd of April at 12pm. When you return the vehicle on the last day it has to be returned no later than 12 pm otherwise this will count as an extra rental day.
Are airport transfers included?
If you rent a vehicle for 8 days or more we will collect you and drop you off at the airport at no extra charge. You will just need to supply us with your flight details. There will then be a representative of our company at the airport to meet you and bring you to our office. He/She will have an A4 White board with your name on.
How does the vehicle collection work?
For improved personal services we will collect you at the airport and bring you to our office to do the rental. If you return the vehicle it must be returned to our office well in advance of your return flight so that we can check the vehicle for damages in your presence and have enough time to get you to the airport on time.
Insurances / Accidents / Mechanical problems
What do I have to do when I have a mechanical problem with the car?
Mechanical failure must be reported to Okavango Car Hire as soon as possible. A replacement vehicle will be delivered in 24 hours within the boarder of Namibia to the nearest town of breakdown and 48 hour to any other country outside the boarders of Namibia, e.g. Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, South-Africa, etc to the nearest town of breakdown after the vehicle has been declared not repairable. Cost of damages inflicted to vehicles through negligence by the renter, will be deductible from the renters’ excess.
All costs resulting from vehicle exchanges due to damage caused by negligence will be deducted from the clients’ excess.
What do I have to do when I have an accident?
Accidents must be reported to Okavango Car Hire as soon as possible. If the vehicle is damage to such an extent that it cannot be driven or used for the remainder of the contract period, the contract for that vehicle will be at an end and any payment and/or insurance excess on this contract cannot be transferred to another rental contract. The lessee shall also be liable for the recovery cost of the vehicle to Okavango Car Hire’s offices. If Okavango Car Hire decides to provide a new vehicle, this will be subject to a new rental contract, a new payment and a new excess for this new rental contract. This contract will also be limited to the full excess and no reduce excess.
All costs resulting from vehicle accident damage due to negligence will be deducted from the clients’ excess.
What insurances options do I have?
Insurance: Please note that Credit card insurance is only for the client to claim and not for insurance on the vehicle
- CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) – Is the full insurance excess applicable to the quoted vehicle. This will be taken from your credit card (Authorization only) at no extra charge per day. This will then be your excess that you are liable for in the event of damages to the vehicle.
- ACDW (Additional Collision Damage Waiver) Option 1 – Is the reduced insurance excess applicable to the quoted vehicle. This will be taken from your credit card (Authorization only) at an extra charge applicable to the quoted vehicle. This will then be your excess that you are liable for in the event of damages to the vehicle.
- ACDW (Additional Collision Damage Waiver) Option 2 (only applicable if you rent the vehicle for 8 days or more) – Is the reduced insurance excess applicable to the quoted vehicle. This will be taken from your credit card (Authorization only) at an extra charge applicable to the quoted vehicle. This will then be your excess that you are liable for in the event of damages to the vehicle.
- Glass & Tyre Damagae (only applicable if you rent the vehicle for 8 days or more) - Is additional insurance on the glass & tyres applicable to the quoted vehicle. If you take this additional insurance you have no liability to pay any damages to glass & tyres. (Limited to 1 replacement, 1 repair)
- Theft-loss waiver - Is additional insurance to reduce your liability in the event that the vehicle should be stolen - this has never happened and is an optional insurance. If you take theft-loss and the vehicle is stolen you will only pay whatever the excess is that you have selected (applicable to the quoted vehicle). If you do not have theft-loss you will pay the retail value of the vehicle
Bookings / Payment / Cancellation
How can I book a vehicle and pay?
Please note the following cancellation policy:
- 0-14 days prior to arrival: 100% of the total cost of the total rental amount applicable if vehicle is cancelled/not collected.
- 15-30 days prior to arrival: 75% of the total cost of the total rental amount applicable if vehicle is cancelled/not collected.
- 31-45 days prior to arrival: 50% of the total cost of the total rental amount applicable if vehicle is cancelled/not collected.
- 46 days prior to arrival and earlier: 20% deposit is forfeited.